Is it worth going in for Dynamics SL implementation in India (without MS's localized support)?

We're an engineering construction contractor in India, currently evaluating which ERP solution to implement.  Among all the flavors available in Dynamics, SL seems to be the best fit going by the reviews and description on MS's website.  It is, however, not available in localized version in India.  Since I am an end user (and decision maker), I don't know the challenges that we face if we go with Solomon implementation in India. There is a company who offers solomon implementation in India (they're based in the US with back office in India) and we should be meeting them soon, but on the outset - what are the factors someone like me should be considering when comparing Nav vs. AX vs. SL?  Our annual revenues are around $25M and there will be around 20-25 users.

Any help I can get would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dinesh

• dlh:

We're an engineering construction contractor in India, currently evaluating which ERP solution to implement.  Among all the flavors available in Dynamics, SL seems to be the best fit going by the reviews and description on MS's website.  It is, however, not available in localized version in India.  Since I am an end user (and decision maker), I don't know the challenges that we face if we go with Solomon implementation in India. There is a company who offers solomon implementation in India (they're based in the US with back office in India) and we should be meeting them soon, but on the outset - what are the factors someone like me should be considering when comparing Nav vs. AX vs. SL?  Our annual revenues are around $25M and there will be around 20-25 users.

Any help I can get would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dinesh

Dynamics SL is not for you. It has two features that make it a good fit a/ Jobs, (Solomon has arguably the best Jobs module of any of the Synamics Range), b/ size of business. You look like the right fit.

If you were a US company using US laws, then I would definitely recommend Solomon, but out of the US you are going to have problems for ever. Since you are meeting with a company selling Solomon in India, you need to ask the following questions:

1/ What level of support will you get from Microsoft since you are running the version in India.
    2/ When a new release of Solomon comes out, how long until that version is localized by this partner for the Indian market, and specificlly for you. (get this in your contract).
    3/ Are there any issues in the difference between US English, and Indian English that could cause problems. Things like Check, Zip code etc.
    4/ Does the Indianized version of Solomon handle the full Sales Tax required by Indian law
    5/ Is Solomon audited and legally accepted by Indian tax authorities.

My recommendation for a company your size, is to look at Navision, and then contact cost control software and look at Job Manager, to give extended abilities that will help you in construction. AX might be a better fit, but I think that at your size, the additional cost is not justified.
  • In reply to David Singleton:

I would not be too worried about support levels. If you are talking to the company that I think you are talking to you will be in good hands (I don't want to advertize here, but shoot me a PM if you want to know), and the MS people that I met when I was in India are very competent.

What would concern me is the fact that SL does not have an Indian localization, and from what I understand there are some pretty complicated tax laws in India. It is nice to be the first of course, but that comes with significant risk on your part. If you go this way, make sure you have a specific contract with service level agreements and guaranteed response times. Also prepare yourself for very difficult times.

I agree that you should take a close (second?) look at NAV and determine if that can be customized for your needs. Out of all the Dynamics products, NAV is the one that is easiest to develop for. What you may not be thinking of now, and what would be worth considering, is not to go out of the box and start out with a development budget. Do a business assessment specifically geared toward your business and with NAV in mind.
  • In reply to Daniel Rimmelzwaan:

Hi Dinesh,

David and Ann are right.

Put your attention on finding out the solution which has out of Box functionalities meeting your requirements.

Prepare a good Requirements list at a Micro level investing some time and compare the solutions.

As a thumb rule, Keep your customisation requirements to minimum for a faster and effective implementation.

Dynamics Navision and Axapata both are available in India with good Localisations.

And MS partners in India also are comepetent enough. With 500 + implemetations already done in India, You should get good expertise from any of the known partners you select.

Regards,

DD

• Hi Dinesh,

You can now go for a Dynamics SL implementation in india as you can get localized support from LinguaNext Technologies.

LinguaPack for Microsoft Dynamics SL allows Microsoft Dynamics SL to be translated into potentially unlimited number of languages, including German, Chinese, Arabic, Japanese, French, Spanish, Italian, Vietnamese, and others. The language enabled software allows end users to simply change the language of the user interface screens and reports while all functionality of the original software are unchanged.

For more info mail me on manishs@linguanext.in

Related
Recommended