We want to start using the fixed asset register on Business Central but the costs and accumulated depreciation up to last financial year are already held on the balance sheet.
How can I get them onto the FA register to use system generated depreciation etc for future periods without duplicating the GL entries on my COA?
You will start using Fixed Assets by entering all the Acquisition and Accumulated Depreciation thru a month-end date using the Fixed Asset Journal, NOT Fixed Asset GL Journal. This will populate the FA Sub-Ledger that will tie to the GL Accounts. Now you can begin used the FA Integration to record Acquisitions and Depreciation. At a Month-End, you will run Calculate Depreciation for the Company/GAAP Book and it will use the FA GL Journal that will post in the Sub-Ledger and General Ledger the depreciation entry.
Have you setup your Assets and Depreciation Book?
Hope this helps.
1. Setup FA Posting Groups
2. Set Depreciation Book - integration turned OFF. Don't forget to add Users
3. Load Assets
4. Load Depreciation Book information for each Asset
5. Load the costs and accumulated depreciation, like Steve says
6. Balance to general ledger
7. Turn integration ON in Depreciation Book