You know the situation: customer has W1 license (or another country
license) but is using client for his "home" country. E.g. license is
W1, but because Company is in Czech, they are using Czech client. Not
problem until NAV 4.00SP3 Update 6. When you got error that "The country code in the license file does not correspond to the country code (XX) in the stx file", you just took the fin.stx from ENU folder and copied it into Client folder. You were done.
not now. If you installed Update 6, you can find out that this
replacement will not solve that problem. Why? The country code in the
fin.stx in ENU folder is not W1 anymore if you installed localized
version of NAV client. It means you still need to install the same
country NAV client like the license Country code and take the fin.stx
from there. Who is responsible for that??? I will try why this change
The error is reisen when:
for all points is to take fin.stx from correct language version of
client installation (same as the country of license) and copying them
into the client folder. Another solution is to install same language
version like license country code and just take and add the language
code subfolder you want to run client in. If you do not have these
files, in case of C/Front you can do small workaround: take the
fin.stx, open it in Notepad, find the text string "00200-00001-002-1"
and change the country code to same as in your license file. It will
corrupt the fin.stx seal, but C/Front is not checking it (client will
tell you that fin.stx was corrupted). But better than nothing.
hope that it will help you quickly solve your problems, because for me
it was one additional night on customer site to solve this
I just need to know where to find country code information, can anyone assist?
Pls go to your program files..
Select Nav folder, find client and search file with ext *.flf & *.stx
Delete all files found.
If the problems havent been settled, find setup.exe (Nav) if any.
Install it & run.
Re-open your nav, i think it can work properly already.
Thanks, hope its work :)
It is why I wrote this article - it is not enough today. You need to have correct language version of the client or you need to modify the .stx file manually just for the C/Front.
I have tried to replace the fin.stx in the client folder with the fin.stx in enu folder but have no luck to get it work.
At the end, I managed to solve it by replacing the whole Client folder in my harddisk with the Client Folder from the Navision 4.0 SP2 Installation CD.
Sorry I could not help you Friday night but glad you got it resolved.
Its very disconcerting that major changes are being made to NAV without communicating this through the channel. Either that or QC on NAV is now falling apart.
I would like to hear if this is a bug, or if it was a deliberate change.