Using the Translation Service for G/L Source Names

Until now I have had my G/L Source Names extension in English only.

Now the upcoming release of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central I need to supply more languages.  What does a man do when he does not speak the language?

I gave a shout out yesterday on Twitter asking for help with translation.  Tobias Fenster reminded me that we have a service to help us with that.  I had already tried to work with this service and now it was time to test the service on my G/L Source Names extension.

In my previous posts I had created the Xliff translation files from my old ML properties.  I manually translated to my native language; is-IS.

I got a Danish translation file sent from Peter D Jørgensen – thanks a lot.

Before we start; I needed to do a minor update to the AdvaniaGIT tools.  Make sure you run “Advania: Go!” to update the PowerShell Script Package.  Then restart Visual Studio Code.

Off to the Microsoft Lifecycle Services to utilize the translation service.

Now, let’s prepare the Xliff files in Visual Studio Code.  From the last build I have the default GL Source Names.g.xlf file.  I executed the action to create Xliff files.

This action will prompt for a selection of language.  The selection is from the languages included in the NAV DVD.

After selection the system will prompt for a translation file that is exported from FinSql.  This I already showed in a YouTube Video.  If you don’t have a file from FinSql you can just cancel this part.  If you already have an Xliff file for that language then it will be imported into memory as translation data and then removed.

This method is therefore useful if you want to reuse the Xliff file data after an extension update.  All new files will be based on the g.xlf file.

I basically did this action for all 25 languages.  I already had the is-IS and da-DK files, so they where updated.  Since the source language is en-US all my en-XX files where automatically translated.  All the other languages have translation state set to “needs-translation”.

</trans-unit><trans-unit id="Table 102911037 - Field 1343707150 - Property 2879900210" size-unit="char" translate="yes" xml:space="preserve">
  <source>Source Name</source>
  <target state="needs-translation"></target><note from="Developer" annotates="general" priority="2" />
  <note from="Xliff Generator" annotates="general" priority="3">Table:O4N GL SN - Field:Source Name</note>
</trans-unit>

All these files I need to upload to the Translation Service.  From the Lifecycle Services menu select the Translation Service.  This will open the Translation Service Dashboard.

Press + to add a translation request.

I now need to zip and upload the nl-NL file from my Translations folder.

After upload I Submit the translation request

The request will appear on the dashboard with the status; Processing.  Now I need to wait for the status to change to Completed.  Or, create requests for all the other languages and upload files to summit.

When translation has completed I can download the result.

And I have a translation in state “needs-review-translation”.

<trans-unit id="Table 102911037 - Field 1343707150 - Property 2879900210" translate="yes" xml:space="preserve">
  <source>Source Name</source>
  <target state="needs-review-translation" state-qualifier="mt-suggestion">Bronnaam</target>
  <note from="Xliff Generator" annotates="general" priority="3">Table:O4N GL SN - Field:Source Name</note>
</trans-unit>

Now I just need to complete all languages and push changes to GitHub.

Please, if you can, download your language file and look at the results.

Comment List
Related
Recommended