Unknown Dictionary Error

Get our Free Newletter

Don't you have the time to be online here at DUG every day? So how do you follow what is going on in the Dynamics industry and community?
If you subscribe to the DUG Newsletter then you can relax! We will make sure that you don't miss the big news!

Check out our
Newsletter Subscription Center
page a complete list of our different newsletters.

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Female
3 Posts
52 Points
2007-3-13 11:13
Jenmaha Posted: 2005-8-29 17:43 | Locked
I hope you all don't mind another question so soon!

One of the employees at my company just got a new computer. After setting it up, and installing Great Plains on it, we have a problem. Every morning when he attempts to sign in to GP, he gets an unknown dictionary error. I've found that I can temporarily solve this problem by re-mapping the network drive to the server...however, I have to do this every time the computer is reset. I've checked out the launch file, and it looks just fine...files all seem to be where they're supposed to be. None of the other computers on the server have this problem. Any suggestions to fix this once and for all? Thanks in advance.
Male
7 Posts
35 Points
2009-9-1 9:34
Assyst Icon replied on 2005-8-30 6:13 | Locked
U need to verify few things

1) If any service packs installed in server, then u should have same in client machine

2) if there are not customizations in Reports or Forms then copy the Dynamics .dic file from any work station on to the new Workstation.

3) this happens when the version of Server dictionary varies with the new installation of the Client.

4) You new client machine if running any windows,Widnows XP must have a Service packs installed.

It will be easier if u can exactly give us the When and What Exact Phrase of the Error is Will be Much Helpfull. [:O]

Thanks And Regards
Assyst

toakramicon@gmail.com

Female
3 Posts
52 Points
2007-3-13 11:13
Jenmaha replied on 2005-8-30 17:59 | Locked
Thanks Assyst, and sorry for not providing more infomation. I'm very new to all of this!

I am running Windows Server 2003, Service Pack 4 as a server. The client that I'm having a problem with is Windows XP, Service Pack 2.

The error occurs when the employee first starts GP. Before the login screen appears (during the loading screen), the error message pops up. It only says:

"Unknown Dictionary Error"

When I installed GP on his computer, I then deleted the Dynamics folder entirely, and made a copy off another workstation and transferred that one to his computer. So, if the original that I made the copy from works just fine, I don't see where the problem is. Of course, I know little to nothing about GP, having first encoutered it *ever* only two weeks ago...so I bow to your expertise. Thanks again!

ETA: In the meantime, I ended up just writing a batch file to remap the network drives at startup....but I'd like to fix this problem "for real", still.
Male
7 Posts
35 Points
2009-9-1 9:34
Assyst Icon replied on 2005-8-31 6:40 | Locked
Here are few work around that should solve your problem,

Thanks for giving the Correct Error Message, This helped me a lot to pin point where the error is, In your case it must be either of 3 cases

1) Dynamic.set file currupted.
2) Any Third Party Tools Involved.
3) Readonly Property Cross Check of Dic File.

Case 1 & Case 2)

1. Verify the paths to all dictionaries in the Dynamics.set file on the local workstation are correct.

2. If the paths are correct, recreate the Dynamics.set file according to the steps below

Steps to Recreate the DYNAMICS.SET file (the launch file)?

2.1. Rename the current DYNAMICS.SET file in the local Dynamics/eEnterprise application folder.

2.2. Double-click the DYNAMICS.EXE file.

2.3. Press ALT+TAB or choose Dynamics/eEnterprise from the taskbar to reach the minimized Dynamics/eEnterprise application.

2.4. Choose File Click Create Launch File.

2.5. Accept the DYNAMICS.SET file when it appears as the default. Verify that it is going to be saved in the local

Dynamics/eEnterprise application folder. Choose SAVE.

2.6. It might prompt you to save the GENDDF.SET, DYNUTILS.SET, or the TUTORIAL.SET files; click Cancel when these are displayed.

3. Verify all users have proper rights to the location specified for the application, forms, reports, or third party dictionaries.

4. If another workstation is working, copy the Dynamics.dic (not the whole folder dear) from the working workstation to the

workstation receiving the error.

5. If the error still occurs, disable the reference to third party dictionaries

Steps to disable third party products in the Dynamics.set file.

The DYNAMICS.SET file can be edited to remove entries for third party products from loading so that Great Plains can launch

without any other products also trying to launch.

5.1. Make a backup of the DYNAMICS.SET file in the local Great Plains folder.

Note - The DYNAMICS.SET file is specific to each workstation. This process must be completed on each workstation in order to

disable the product on all workstations.

5.2. To disable the product, find the DYNAMICS.SET in the local Great Plains folder and right-click on it. Choose Edit, and

then Notepad will open for you to edit the file. If Edit is not an option, choose Open With and select Notepad.

Here is an example of what a launch file looks like with one additional product (SmartList):
Great Plains
SmartList
Windows
:C:GreatPlains/Dynamics.dic
:C:GreatPlains/Forms.dic
:C:GreatPlains/Reports.dic
:C:GreatPlains/EXP1493.DIC
:C:GreatPlains/EXP1493F.DIC
:C:GreatPlains/EXP1493R.DIC

5.3. In this case, the SmartList product could be removed by the following steps:

5.3.A. Reduce the first number in this file by one. In other words, the "2" should become a "1". This tells Great Plains that

there will only be one product loading instead of two.

5.3.B. Remove the two lines containing the Product ID and Product Name. In this case, "1493" and "SmartList" need to be removed from the file.

5.3.C. Remove the paths to dictionaries that would be loaded for this product. With this DYNAMICS.SET file, the last three

lines pertain to SmartList, so they must be deleted.

The modified DYNAMICS.SET file would look like this:

Great Plains
Windows
:C:GreatPlains/Dynamics.dic
:C:GreatPlains/Forms.dic
:C:GreatPlains/Reports.dic

The next time Great Plains is launched from this workstation, SmartList will not load, only Great Plains will. Once testing is complete, the modified DYNAMICS.SET file can be removed, and the backup can be restored, so that all products can load again

=============================================
Case 3)

The dictionary may have been inadvertently flagged as read-only. This often happens if you drag a dictionary off of a CD because files on a CD are read only. Use My Computer and go to the directory the dictionary is located in, locate and right click on the dictionary. Select Properties and unmark the Read Only attibute. After changing the file attributes attempt to open the dictionary again.

If you still have the error then the dictionary is corrupt. Run a disk diagnostic utility such as Norton Disk Doctor, CHKDSK.EXE or SCANDISK,EXE, In some cases these utilities can find and repair problems in the dictionary file..

=========================================
Install all the corresponding modules even though the client dosen't use it cross check the dynamic.set file with the workstation working fine and make sure it matches with this workstation with error.

NOTE:[:0)]
DO NOT COPY THE WHOLE FOLDER FROM WORKING WORK STATION TO ERROR WORKSTATION, I ASKED U TO COPY ONLY DYNAMICS.DIC. [:o)]

Let me know if this solved your issue or not in both case.

Thanks and Regards
ASSYST [8D]

toakramicon@gmail.com
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | Get this RSS feed | Bookmark and Share