NAV 2009 Management application

Hello all,

today I am glad that I can introduce you my new application, which is focused on management of NAV 2009 service tier and WebService. In last few days I learned much about C# and managing services, reading and modifying XML files etc. Result is the application named "NAV 2009 NST Management".

What you can do with this application?

1. Start/Stop the NAV services
  2. Create new instances of the services
  3. Configure the services (change DB server, DB name, and enable/disable debugging on them)
  4. Remove the services (excluding the default one)
  5. Do it all on remote machine (remote registry access required)

I hope that this application will help all of you who needs more instances of the services (developers etc.). The new instances are created with .NET port sharing, it means running all on same default port (you need to run the service for port sharing manually, it is disabled by default). They differs only by instance name. All is based on the example from Freddy's blog (BIG thanks to Freddy). Instances are created as running under NETWORK Services account. If needed, may be setting the account will be possible in some next version ;-).

Update: 2.2.2009 - newer version attached, with appropriate error management in situations when NST is not installed etc.

Update: 3.2.2009 - again, newer version attached, I had some chaos in files. Sorry...

Update: 17.12.2010 - newer version attached, including one bug fix

Enjoy the app, thanks for any feedback.

Posted: 2009-1-25 21:25 by Kine | with 13 comment(s) |
Filed under: ,

Comments

# NAV 2009 Management application

Hello all, today I am glad that I can introduce you my new application, which is focused on management

Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:27 PM by Kine's Info

# What did NAV bloggers blog in January?

When I started blogging just short of two years ago, there weren’t too many NAV blogs. I don’t bother

Monday, February 02, 2009 1:30 AM by Navigate Into Success

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

Are you going to update this for SP1 use?

Friday, September 04, 2009 5:29 PM by Scott Conant

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

1) I do not know about any change which is needed

2) The tool is now "open source", it is published through GIT tool on github.

Saturday, September 05, 2009 4:33 PM by Kine

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

Hi.

I made a small testcase. I have created an additional Service Tier, instance name = TEST.

So now there are 2 Srvice Tiers pressent. The one NAv installed and the one I just created.

My RTC works fine on database A using the the default service tier.

I've created a database B, I've corrected the appropriate settings in the CustomSettings.config file.

<add key="DatabaseName" value="B"></add>

<add key="ServerInstance" value="TEST"></add>

Now I stop the default service tier and start my new one (TEST). I guess now it should be possible to log in on the other db (B) using the other service tier (test)? This is not the case, the service tier is not found.

The net tcp port sharing service is running.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 11:46 PM by lyot

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

CHeck, that the service tier is running correctly (check the event log for more info). D not forget that if you are using more PCs, you need to setup SPN etc.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 6:04 AM by Kine

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

I'm using one pc.

No entries in event log, besides the one the service was started successful.

Still no luck.. :(

Thursday, October 08, 2009 9:14 AM by lyot

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

Hi Kamal,

Tried your tool but getting an error. As I am running Dutch XP the messages are in NLD :-(

A copy is created from the Service folder indeed, but config file is not updated with the info I entered in your tool. Next to that no new service is set up.

b rg, Luc

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:13 PM by Luc van Vugt

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

Just post the Dutch errors, still it could help (with google help :-))

Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:25 AM by Kine

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

Thanx. Here you go (only listing the excedptions):

************** Tekst van uitzondering **************

System.NullReferenceException: De objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld.

bij NAV2009_NST_Management.NAVService.GetImagePath()

bij NAV2009_NST_Management.NAVService.ReadConfig()

bij NAV2009_NST_Management.NAVService..ctor(String serviceName, String machineName)

bij NAV2009_NST_Management.NSTMgt.Create()

bij NAV2009_NST_Management.Form1.toolStripButton1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)

bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

bij System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Friday, November 13, 2009 4:08 PM by Luc van Vugt

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

I am not sure, if you are using latest version, older had problems with 64bit windows. But you can download the source files from github.com/.../NAV_NST_Management and you can debug it on your PC if you have VisualStudio 2008.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:26 PM by Kine

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

Hi Kine,

I had restore a database into Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 Classic with Microsoft SQL Server and I can open without any problem.

Unfortunetly I keep getting a few error messages when i try to open in NAV 2009 R2 (RTC).

Error message as per below:

1. The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

2. The program could not create a connection to the server. Do you want to try again?

Please help. Thank you.

Regards,

An

anphilip@hotmail.com

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:10 AM by An

# re: NAV 2009 Management application

You need to look into Event Viewer for the real error why the service cannot start. It could be login problém for NST account etc.

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:33 AM by Kine